Aberrant Reproduction

Clans, Psychonauts, Burn & Metaplot

Aberrant Reproduction

by Sigillite Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:50 pm
Something I've been wondering about for a while as I've cobbled together my campaign is the nature of psychonauts. Are they inherently sterile and rely on human populations to give birth to homo degenesis or are the aberrants capable of breeding with one another to sustain their population?
From what I've noticed, psychonauts do not seem particularly numerous, they seem more like a rare and horrifically dangerous threat when encountered. If psychonauts could breed with one another I imagine they would be far more numerous.
Additionally it appears that every form of psychonaut has some sort of non-violent relationship with humans, implying a symbiotic (or more likely parasitic) relationship that could lead to infected humans serving as the sole means of psychonaut production.

Pregnoctics are the most obvious with their roles as seers for Hybrispania that sees young pregnoctics outright offered to the creatures.
Pheromancers are about as obvious as pregnoctics with the vast settlements of human drones there are plenty of potential sources of new pheromancers.
Dushani have the Usudi who are not only driven into an entirely different state of mind by the dushani songs, they also seem like they might revere dushani as gods.
Biokinetic have the Pandorians who are known to guard biokinetic nests (though how human you can call pandorians is debatable at the best of times)
Psychokinetics have the settlements they entrap in their rifts, admittedly this is the weakest connection of all the psychonaut to humanity, but it is possible they use these ensnared communities to provide both blood and new aberrants.

So in summary I can definitely see it being possible for psychonauts to be entirely sterile and rely on infected human populations to replenish their ranks, but I wondered if anyone knew if psychonauts actually bred with each other or not. I'm also curious to see other people's opinions on this concept in general. Should psychonauts be sterile? Does it take too much away from the concept of them replacing mankind or does it emphasize how humans are merely a temporary tool of the sepsis before it wipes us out?
Bit

Re: Aberrant Reproduction

by wickeod4175 Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 pm
Psychonauts are sterile and cannot breed. Here is an excerpt from Katharsys page 278 of the pdf.

"A Psychonaut is always born close to spore felds, as a child
of Leperos or normal people who did not want to bow to
the de-sporeing craze of the Spitalians or were not able to
do so. The mycelium fills the pregnant woman’s amniotic
fluid within days, and the fetus is exposed to it.
When the child is born, it does not display any
unnatural behavior at frst. It never gives a moment of
peace to its mother, though. It clings to her, sucking at
her breasts until blood flows and the child has to be torn
away by force. Its eyes never focus faces, but only sources
of food. It is greedy but calm."

I would keep them sterile. Making them fertile, removes the importance that sepsis plays in the role of evolution.
Bit

by Ketzer Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Well, the only way to keep your offsprings `genetically clean` is to forbid reproduction as in making copies of the copies.
Every single offspring has to be bred first hand, with the original dna combination.
[Tag 1:]
Etwas verwest in uns...Unter diesem dünnen Lack aus Anstand, Moral und Zivilisation gärt abgestandenes Menschsein. Und wenn die Membran reißt wird die Welt ertrinken in einem Meer aus Blut, Tränen und Pisse!
Streamer

by Sigillite Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:22 am
Thanks for the replies, this seems to line up with my suspicions. Closest I could see is the idea of psychonauts being capable of breeding with humans, since I recall a couple mentions of pheromancer queens taking drones as lovers. Though in all fairness that is still pretty subjective, a pheromancer's "lover" might just be a drone that watches over the queen and enjoys those sweet sweet gland juices.
Bit

by Camouflage Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 pm
Sigillite wrote:Thanks for the replies, this seems to line up with my suspicions. Closest I could see is the idea of psychonauts being capable of breeding with humans, since I recall a couple mentions of pheromancer queens taking drones as lovers. Though in all fairness that is still pretty subjective, a pheromancer's "lover" might just be a drone that watches over the queen and enjoys those sweet sweet gland juices.

You are aware that people do engage in sexual activities for other reasons than reproduction? ;)

Those drones simply react to pheromones which drive them to love/worship/desire their "queen" above anything else. Those pheromones trigger each and every positive instinct-level reaction that will bind the drones to the pheromancer and lust and sexual desire are among those. The wild orgies resulting from that just don't result in any offspring (although whatever all those "sweet sweet gland juice"-dripping drones do with each other along the way may very well result in some suitably spore-infested queen-larvae) they just tighten the bond.

And yes, those pheromancer-drone-activities are mentioned in the books (right now I'm not sure whether I read it in TKG or BA).
Ich habe die Hölle gesehen. Das kann ich besser!
Agent

by Sigillite Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:42 pm
That was my other suspicion. It does make a good deal of sense that psychonauts are sterile, otherwise there would be a hell of a lot more of them menacing Europe. It also sheds further insight on how psychonauts behave and how their lairs and underlings function.
Bit

Sort By