Anubians and Psychovores

Clans, Psychonauts, Burn & Metaplot

Anubians and Psychovores

by Wallenstein Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:40 pm
So, since Maroon asked for a translation of some of the stuff we discussed in the German forum concerning the Anubians and the Psychovores, I allowed myself to translate the very good summary of what is known from the books (Rebirth Edition only) done originally by Scallen.

I will share it here and maybe we can start a conversation about the open questions.

Here's Scallen's summary:

Anubians
- The Anubian Cult is based on the Anubis-Syndicate, an African secret society of scientists, doctors and philiosophers from before the Eshaton (see PP p. 254).
- They use the ancient death cult to secure an important and lasting place in post-Eshaton African society.
- The higher ranking members have abandoned their veil of superstition and are actually dealing with top-notch science and technology (see PP p. 259).
- Their headquarter is in Kairo, hidden behind the strongest Psychovores and thereby very difficult to access for everyone but the highest-ranking Anubians (see PP p. 261).
- Norman Thorne, leading Recombination Group Scientist, defected to the Anubis Syndicate shortly before the Eshaton (or did he?), bringing with him a bunch of Nano transmitters, Freon and Xenon (materials for cryostasis) (see PP p. 337 Letter of Victor Karminoc; PP p. 338; PP p. 254; Jehammed's Star 2nd Transmission)
- There are 8 Ancestors in the African religion of Scourgers and Anubians (see PP p. 242f). There were also 8 members in the Anubis Syndicate (see PP p. 254). They were probably put in cryostasis chambers which are now lost deep in the psychovores. The Anubians try to locate and salvage them to bring them to Kairo (see PP p. 260f).
- Anubians have access to nanotechnology: Both the description of their tattoos and the canopies sounds a lot like descriptions of nanites (see PP p. 258). It would also explain the bodily transformation that goes along with each canopy ritual: The nanites are actually modifying their genes (see PP p. 260).

Psychovores
- The Psychovores emerged from fragments of the meteor that created the Dhoruba and displaced the local Flora (see PP p. 127).
- They have pentagonal to octagonal leaves and both leaves and fruits are of a glass-like, crystalline structure and deadly poisonous (idem).
- While both appear to be products of the Primer - brought to Earth by the meteors, adapting spores and plants respectively - they are not compatible. Where Sepsis and Psychovores meet, they destroy each other creating the Discordance (see PP p. 131).

Anubian Skills
- Anubians develop an ever increasing resistance to the destructive effects of the Pschovores to the point of nigh-immunity.
- Healers and Hekatits can catalyze otherwise deadly poisonous Duat-Fruits to create potent pharmaceuticals.
- Sickles and Ammits can sense Psychonauts and use this ?telepathic? link to wreak havoc on them better than any Preservist.
- High-ranking Anubians can control Psychovores (to some degree), able to pass through them unharmed and even make them attack enemies.

Scallen's questions
- Why can Anubians control the Pschovores?
- Is it because of the Nanites?
- What exactly are the Psychovores?
- Did they need these skills to develop because their HQ in Kairo was overgrown?

Kudos to the original writer.
Social Media Man

Re: Anubians and Psychovores

by Wallenstein Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:12 pm
I just wrote a very compelling thesis why I think the Psychovores are Primer-adapted Nanites, but then the f***ing automatic logout killed it all :cry:

I'll try to rewrite it another day. For shame.
Social Media Man

by Maroon Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:55 pm
Thank you very much Wallenstein, I'll try to make good use of those informations.
I know the pain of a sudden disconnection too and you have my total and genuine empathy for that... :)
Agent

by Scallen Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 pm
Well, I'm interested what you think about my thoughts. :)
Streamer

Sort By